I hope that we can agree on the fact that having students read one-by-one aloud to the class in a Round Robin fashion is probably not the most motivating or accountability-driven way to read text. Try some of these and see what you come up with – do you get greater interaction on the text when you use these techniques?
• Lead readers/whisper readers
• Structured partner reading
• Structured silent reading
• Teacher read aloud chunking
• “Greens read,” “Tigers read,” “Table five read”
• Read it to the hand
• Numbered heads reading
The structure is not the point, the USE and CONNECTION TO THE TEXT is the point!