Question: Do you have anything in your “toolbox” that would help a district to select their in-house coach. What are the characteristics they should or shouldn’t look for?
- Excellent, clear communicator
- Highly skilled and disciplined teacher
- Superb classroom manager
- Quick learner
- Very organized and can keep a detailed calendar
- Highly relational
- Does not give up on things or people when the going gets rough
- Able to read social situations and people (this is crucial and often overlooked)
- Has boundaries and is not afraid to say no
I used to give a list of tangible, skill driven things that the coach had to be able to do. A lot of it was content driven and about what they “knew” not just who they “were.” I think this is a really big mistake, which is why I have changed my tune! This list shows the type of person who is likely to be a successful coach…the rest can be learned!